Wednesday, November 10, 2010

African Peanut Soup

This is one of those recipes that I constantly stumble across and have been dying to make for some time now, but never seem to get around to it. I have seen a variation of the recipe in VegNews, the VeganYumYum cookbook, and most recently in Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's latest cookbook, The Vegan Table. So finally, I decided that I had to try this recipe!

Last night was the perfect night for soup (it was cold and rainy, but then again, we are in San Francisco) and I just so happened to have all the ingredients on hand. So, like I often do, I created my own variation of this soup, taking a few ideas from each recipe. Here is what worked for me:

Makes about 3-4 servings

3-4 tbsp. water (or 1 tbsp. olive oil if you choose)
1/2 brown onion (although, next time, I would only use 1/4), diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, diced
1/2 red bell pepper
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup chunky peanut butter (thinned with some water)
1 cup butternut squash, cut in 1/2 inch chunks
1 small sweet potato, cut in 1/2 inch chunks
1 cup cooked garbanzo beans (I cook my own... and you should too - they taste so much better than canned)
2-3 cups veg broth (i used a boullion cube + water)
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1-2 scallions, chopped

3-4 cups prepared whole wheat cous cous

1. Saute onions, garlic, carrot, and bell pepper until soft.
2. Add in spices and peanut butter. Let everything mix together for a few minutes.
3. Add in butter nut squash, sweet potato, garbanzos, and veg broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 20 mins without lid (until squash and potato are cooked through and the broth has reduced a little bit).
4. To serve, scoop cous cous in the middle of bowl, add soup around the sides, and top with cilantro and scallions. Enjoy!

This soup was truly delicious. I will definitely be making it again very soon! Check out the picture below:

No comments:

Post a Comment