Monday, June 6, 2011

Pie test #1

Stephen and I left Thursday night for Buffalo, NY to celebrate my Grandpa's 80th birthday party with my whole family.  However, it being only one week away from the SF Food Wars Pie or Die Contest (check out the post about the competitors - we are Team #3), I was determined to make at least one pie while I was gone.  I was able to get all of the ingredients I needed at Wegman's - quite possibly one of the best grocery stores I have ever stepped foot in (their organic/natural/vegan/vegetarian/etc. section was very impressive!).

I was able to work on my pie after the birthday bash at my Aunt's house - in other words, I had already had quite a few a few drinks.  It didn't matter though - I was determined to make this pie!  However, I made a big mistake right off the bat - I bought a tub of Earth Balance and a tub of shortening, instead of the sticks, to use for the crust.  Although I froze both, by the time I measured out the amount I needed, my fat had gotten too soft and blended into a paste in the food processor.  I had ruined the crust. 

Nevertheless, I was still set on making this damn pie!  I found a graham cracker pie crust in my aunt's pantry (which happened to be vegan), so I was still able to test my filling recipe.  The mixture I made tasted really good... I just needed it to set up nicely in the fridge.....

Well, not as nicely as I hoped - it was a little too soft.  Although it did firm up a little bit, I am either going to have to add extra corn starch, or go a different route and bake the whole pie, instead of making a chilled pie.

Ahhh, so many decisions... so little time!!

Oh, and I wasn't even able to snap a picure of the finished product because my omni relatives were so eager to try it - everyone grabbed forks and dug in!  The looks on some of my cousins' faces when I told them it was made of tofu were priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment